Hedgehog Edits (With Friends)

Hedgehog Edits (With Friends) v1C-Minor

• Thread starter WhiteFelineWonder
  • Start date
WhiteFelineWonder

WhiteFelineWonder

WhiteFelineWonder submitted a new addon:

Hedgehog Edits (With Friends) - Simple SOCs to give some flavor to some characters!

These are a handful of P_SKIN patches to the vanilla cast (and some others) that mainly focus on adding some flavor to their sounds. However, there is a special case for the vanilla cast, as some of them have different speed, sprites, or new functionality! (Also should note that this works best for versions that DON'T have the new sprites that're coming soon. So AFAIK, 2.2.13 should be fine (just waiting for the linux version to update)

Changes from vanilla...

Read more about this addon...

help i can't make P_SKIN patches like u :backamy::backamy::backamy::backamy:

WhiteFelineWonder updated Hedgehog Edits (With Friends) with a new update entry:

The "Bring it in" update

This update brings in a bunch of new patches, a total of SEVEN, and tweaks two existing patches.

Additions:
- Peppino - More sounds! (V1.0, not V2B1, can't guarantee it'll work with the overhauled version.)
- FSonic - More sounds, better thok power, and voice clips from Sonic Lost World!
- TailsCD - Custom sounds and a different...

Read the rest of this update entry...

:wonderfulamy: This is a masterpiece! Not only does it make the characters in it have many more abilities that feel unique, but it feels much more smooth!

:wonderfulamy: This is a masterpiece! Not only does it make the characters in it have many more abilities that feel unique, but it feels much more smooth!
I do my best with these patches, it's like checking whether something needs extra sugar, spice, or salt. Thanks! :D
help i can't make P_SKIN patches like u :backamy::backamy::backamy::backamy:
I'd be happy to lay out how I do these patches for the characters ^^
And this can be for anybody to learn and figure out!

Requirements:
- SLADE
- SRB2
- Audacity or any other audio editor. I personally use Dark Audacity. Been using it with Wine and it's seamless.
- Any character you want to patch.
- Optionally, a text editor like Notepad++, Vim, Emacs, or just the regular text progam if you want. I just stick with what's in SLADE since it's essentially the Doom Swiss Army Knife.
Steps:
1. Take the S_SKIN file of the character and insert it into a new WAD or PK3 file.
2. Rename the S_SKIN to P_SKIN so the game knows to patch the affected character. For this example, let's use Sonic.
3. You can basically edit anything that's possible with S/P_SKIN.
In vanilla, Sonic has the thok. Let's say you want to give Sonic the Air Drill ability.
4. With reference to the SRB2 wiki, look for the "ability" parameter in the P_SKIN file. By default, the ability parameter should show CA_THOK. Highlight that and replace it with CA_AIRDRILL.
5. Save the patch file and insert it into your addons folder (or other any other folder you may use. I use a folder called "testing" before everything solidifies. Boot up the game and mount this file. It should return with the checkpoint sound if all goes well.
6. Enjoy!
7. If you want to alter anything else about Sonic, such as the default palette he calls for, secondary ability, HUD name, acceleration, etc., repeat steps 4 & 5 until you're satisfied with your results.
8. If you want to change the custom sounds that doesn't tie into the patch file, copy the original sound or music file into the patch so it's easier to overwrite. Find a site that has sounds, like MyInstants or OpenGameArt (or if you're the creative type you can use something like BeepBox or Jsfxr and make your own custom sounds), and toy around with them until you find the right one for your needs. Export that and then...
9. If you refer back to the sounds you copied over from what you want to patch, simply import the new sounds over the existing ones. This part's personal preference, but with SLADE, you can convert WAV files to the Doom sound format so the overall filesize doesn't take more space.
And then you can go and repeat steps 5 to 9 until you're satisfied!

I have not tested patching characters that includes edited LUA, I presumably think that both the edited LUA and the original LUA will clash with each other and cause problems.
And if you want a list of what you can modify or add into an S_SKIN or P_SKIN file:
Let me know if any of you need some clarity with any of the steps!

cool pack! wonder how shadow would change?
Mainly, Shadow would get some unique custom sounds, much like with everyone else

Last edited:
I'd be happy to lay out how I do these patches for the characters ^^
And this can be for anybody to learn and figure out!

Requirements:
- SLADE
- SRB2
- Audacity or any other audio editor. I personally use Dark Audacity. Been using it with Wine and it's seamless.
- Any character you want to patch.
- Optionally, a text editor like Notepad++, Vim, Emacs, or just the regular text progam if you want. I just stick with what's in SLADE since it's essentially the Doom Swiss Army Knife.
Steps:
1. Take the S_SKIN file of the character and insert it into a new WAD or PK3 file.
2. Rename the S_SKIN to P_SKIN so the game knows to patch the affected character. For this example, let's use Sonic.
3. You can basically edit anything that's possible with S/P_SKIN.
In vanilla, Sonic has the thok. Let's say you want to give Sonic the Air Drill ability.
4. With reference to the SRB2 wiki, look for the "ability" parameter in the P_SKIN file. By default, the ability parameter should show CA_THOK. Highlight that and replace it with CA_AIRDRILL.
5. Save the patch file and insert it into your addons folder (or other any other folder you may use. I use a folder called "testing" before everything solidifies. Boot up the game and mount this file. It should return with the checkpoint sound if all goes well.
6. Enjoy!
7. If you want to alter anything else about Sonic, such as the default palette he calls for, secondary ability, HUD name, acceleration, etc., repeat steps 4 & 5 until you're satisfied with your results.
8. If you want to change the custom sounds that doesn't tie into the patch file, copy the original sound or music file into the patch so it's easier to overwrite. Find a site that has sounds, like MyInstants or OpenGameArt (or if you're the creative type you can use something like BeepBox or Jsfxr and make your own custom sounds), and toy around with them until you find the right one for your needs. Export that and then...
9. If you refer back to the sounds you copied over from what you want to patch, simply import the new sounds over the existing ones. This part's personal preference, but with SLADE, you can convert WAV files to the Doom sound format so the overall filesize doesn't take more space.
And then you can go and repeat steps 5 to 9 until you're satisfied!

I have not tested patching characters that includes edited LUA, I presumably think that both the edited LUA and the original LUA will clash with each other and cause problems.
And if you want a list of what you can modify or add into an S_SKIN or P_SKIN file:
Let me know if any of you need some clarity with any of the steps!
I just figured that out a few months ago... But thanks! I'm trying to get Knux to use a custom color, but it crashes the game. How do I get a custom color to be a prefcolor? I already added the LUA script in the PK3 for the color, before the P_SKIN.soc. Am I doing something wrong?

I wish I knew how to make characters call for custom palettes instead of what's in vanilla SBR2, but I unfortunately do not know.

That is something I eventually want to do, give every character custom colors for themselves. I think that'd make them stand out more.

This is my mighty idea

This is my ray idea
combi rings ray release btw

Is there a way too not has them in one file together instead or just them in 1 different was files it can be one just put all the edit in one package