WIP Thread for Yumi the Frostbird (V0.75) & Ann the Slicer (0.92)

Sasaki

Sasaki

Greetings.

So it turns out I haven't been dormant for all this time. I've been working on these two character mods for a while, and both of them have hit the classic LUA dead end point where I lack the knowledge to finish the features I have intended for them. Since I've decided MB folks are just way too unreliable, I've come here to ask for a little bit of advice regarding these issues.

I intend to keep my promise in making all the finished versions of these mods re-usable for you in return, the same promise I made to MB previously. I believe in the idea of the best kind of projects being born out of community effort rather than building these walled gardens where people have to constantly worry about the author flip-flopping on their decision to give you permission to use a piece of content as building blocks for your own. I kept the non-final versions non-reusable solely so I wouldn't have too many people being involved in this project at once at its starting stages where I sought to improve my skill & earn my right to be part of this community.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I will talk about the 1st mod, Ann the Slicer.

This character is so close to being finished, the only things I have left to fix is move all the code of custom abilities into appropriate Actions so I can fix a certain bug, fix the multiplayer colors (this one is not that important outside MP) as well as properly code & implement the signature slicer projectile.

As for custom abilities, Slide Dash itself works as intended, and even has some extra utility like the ability to cancel out of the attack animation.

Srb20004

And the Air Spin is fine the way it is, as I would feel making it function like a second jump would be too overpowered anyway.

Srb20002

Unfortunately, as all the custom ability code is currently under a hook instead of in actions, it is likely the reason for the bug where if you get hit during either of the animations, it leaves the player in a buggy state where they're unable to interact with objects until they either Retry to reset the state or lose a life.

I couldn't replicate this bug in time for this post, but I've found that certain objects that would force another state to load like the boost pads of Angel Island Tour map pack are particularly effective in forcing the bug as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the 2nd character, Yumi the Frostbird, I was intending to scrap this character entirely at first due to being so upset over the feeling of having the trust I placed in MB just a few months before betrayed. I was ready to quit until a few of my RL acquaintances helped me get over it at least a lil' bit. As a result, she's much more unfinished. I need to finish the last bit of her sprites, add extra flair in animations, think of a nice way of implementing MP colors to her and lastly, get the coding of her ability kit done.

She is based on a Penguinator. However, I decided to take her into a whole another direction to not just copy the homework of a certain other MB content creator and one of the few people I came to respect while I was there. I think that creator's name was Shannon.

As for custom abilities & tweaks... first of all, I need to find a way to disable the ability for her to Climb, as I feel it goes against the spirit of the character. Depending on how that goes, I may have to buff her toolkit in return, including spin dash.

Srb20008

The custom ability I have coded for her and the only one she will have on dry land is the Wing Flap. This is a very simple and essential ability to the character, allowing her to gain a little bit of momentum upwards & speed. She is currently allowed to use up to three Wing Flaps until she lands on the ground while in the air on dry land, I may buff this to four or five wing flaps later depending on how badly the removal of Climb hampers the character.

Srb20009

Now here is where the underwater part comes to play, something I don't have the knowledge of how to properly code in yet. While underwater, her breath timer would be increased to 60 seconds, underwater physics would have less of an effect on her, and she unlocks her full kit. She would have either infinite or a lot of Wing Flaps available underwater to help ascend easily plus she would gain another version of Wing Flap that would make her descend in altitude.

Srb20010

(Ignore this one if you want. You'll get to see plenty of NOOT NOOT once it's finished.)

Unfortunately as of now, I do not have the knowledge of how to implement the underwater part of this character yet, and these custom abilities are still subject to the bug I discussed before.

I will link the unfinished versions with the unused projectile & the underwater code in this thread if people are interested in reviewing the code. There's definitely a lot of spaghetti code that could be optimized, something I'd more than welcome advice on how to improve. Lua is quite tricky to me as it seems to be similar enough to C# yet at the same time has its own quirks that end up throwing me for a loop.

I will also welcome constructive criticism regarding the Ann the Slicer mod in particular, as I'd like to tweak the gameplay feel of the character's toolkit for the final version.

Lastly, as you're going to notice in the 0.92 version of Ann the Slicer mod as well as the WIP version of Yumi the Frostbird, the character selection screen portait has extra empty space right of where Yumi is positioned. There is a reason for this.

There were plans for a third character, one based on another member of the Unholy Triad of Metropolis Zone, the Shellcracker, to complete this trio. I haven't thrown away the concepts I made for it, no matter how... unpolished they are, so there's a chance for it to become reality.

He's going to be the one who KNOCKS.