Why do people portleg anyway?

BDBGaming Alt

BDBGaming Alt

I've never understood this. If you can just get the normal thing, can't you just use that?

theres a lot of reasons, thought, fortunately, in the case of Srb2, most of them are with good intents.

1- (And the most common afaik) Someone played your old mod from eons ago, but does not want to install an old version, and deal with the issues from such ancient version, added that to not being able to load their other favorite mods to complement.

2- Youre just a newbie who is starting, and dont wanna go throught the heavy task of doing a mod from zero, that, to be honest, even map making is difficult, and that already is THE easiest task you have when modding for Srb2.

3- (the least common i know of) You're too lazy to create a mod for yourself, so the better option you get is literally stealing another mod, be it copypasting it as it is, or just changing something, for as little as it is, and then claiming credits as if you were the original creator all along.

I've never understood this. If you can just get the normal thing, can't you just use that?
theres a lot of reasons, thought, fortunately, in the case of Srb2, most of them are with good intents.

1- (And the most common afaik) Someone played your old mod from eons ago, but does not want to install an old version, and deal with the issues from such ancient version, added that to not being able to load their other favorite mods to complement.

2- Youre just a newbie who is starting, and dont wanna go throught the heavy task of doing a mod from zero, that, to be honest, even map making is difficult, and that already is THE easiest task you have when modding for Srb2.

3- (the least common i know of) You're too lazy to create a mod for yourself, so the better option you get is literally stealing another mod, be it copypasting it as it is, or just changing something, for as little as it is, and then claiming credits as if you were the original creator all along.
But those are just the tip of the iceberg. There's more.

Take Scratch's remix button as an example. You make some edits, and the creator of the original knows. A Scratcher even remixed my project without permission, but I am pleased with the end result. Also, Scratchers may even port an old project of yours that's broken in Scratch 3.0, and you may be pleased.

I'm not going too deep, but deep enough for now that you might change your thoughts on portlegs.

Okay, hear me out, I can see the good intentions of the first one. The second one, though, couldn't you just get help? The 3rd reason is just the worst reason.

But those are just the tip of the iceberg. There's more.

Take Scratch's remix button as an example. You make some edits, and the creator of the original knows. A Scratcher even remixed my project without permission, but I am pleased with the end result. Also, Scratchers may even port an old project of yours that's broken in Scratch 3.0, and you may be pleased.

I'm not going too deep, but deep enough for now that you might change your thoughts on portlegs.
I can understand that. But that's Scratch, a platform made specifically for people new to the genre of modding. And what if you weren't pleased? What if they just edited some colors and called it all theirs?

Okay, hear me out, I can see the good intentions of the first one. The second one, though, couldn't you just get help? The 3rd reason is just the worst reason.
i mean, in short, these are technically the main reasons most people portleg stuff that isnt theirs, or edit them in general, without asking first.

Be it a good reason or not, its technically part of the truth and reason, at least for this specific community.

I can understand that. But that's Scratch, a platform made specifically for people new to the genre of modding. And what if you weren't pleased? What if they just edited some colors and called it all theirs?
A little credit never hurts. Anyway, Scratch auto-credits people of the original on the top, so no worries. And, even if it was a minor change, I respect the person who remixed.

A little credit never hurts. Anyway, Scratch auto-credits them on the top, so no worries. And, even if it was a minor change, I respect the person who remixed.
i have yet to meet any case where someone portlegs with ill intent, i mean, doing it just to be famous for something, even if its literally doing theft, by posting something isnt yours, having it edited or not, and then claiming full credits for it

i have yet to meet any case where someone portlegs with ill intent, i mean, doing it just to be famous for something, even if its literally doing theft, by posting something isnt yours, having it edited or not, and then claiming full credits for it
Then you realize you can do a quick Google search of the original and call out the portlegger claiming it to be theirs.

Then you realize you can do a quick Google search of the original and call out the portlegger claiming it to be theirs.
i mean, theres a lot of portlegs, its not like i got time to sit and read through them all, specially when theres a lot of info to chew on, talking about each individual case by itself.

Most, that at least i have seen, AT LEAST bothered to give credit, even if they just straight up stolen it, like, downloaded it from the MB or somewhere else, and posted them on another page themselves.

Lets be honest, even the WS has standards and sort of respect. Either you give credits, or you get the fuck outta here.

i mean, theres a lot of portlegs, its not like i got time to sit and read through them all, specially when theres a lot of info to chew on, talking about each individual case by itself.

Most, that at least i have seen, AT LEAST bothered to give credit, even if they just straight up stolen it, like, downloaded it from the MB or somewhere else, and posted them on another page themselves.

Lets be honest, even the WS has standards and sort of respect. Either you give credits, or you get the fuck outta here.
I'm highly sure that's outlined in their rules.

Why are you so worried about people making portleg as it would kill anyone? it's not a real threat, portlegs are just ports of old mods that came from 1.09.4-2.1 so the people can have fun playing them in 2.2. I don't understand why people are making so much drama about it since nobody gain anything from a fangame other than "wow, your mod is gud!!!! 10/10 I love playing it" and then the mod gets forgotten. If the original creator doesn't want to be forgotten for their original creation, just credit them. In some years nobody will care about it anymore, because SRB2 won't bring food to your home and you'll have to get a job. I personally don't care about anything related to reusability rules and such because I just want to have fun with the game while I have time to do so.

"nuh uh, the portlegs are bad quality!!!"
Create a better port and people will forget the old port.

"But it's to respect creator wishes"
In some years/months the creator won't care about it anymore if they're just a child. An adult usually has more important things to worry about than some 9 year old kid porting their mod to 2.2. If you are a grown up person and still get angry about anyone getting a copy of your mod edited, leave the internet and go get a job. You should be aware that anyone will do anything to your mod when you post it to the internet and you can't do anything about it.

If you still have a problem with portlegs, just pretend they doesn't exists and get only mods from Blue Sphere Section.

Last edited:
I...never said I had a problem with them, mate.
Why are you so worried about people making portleg as it would kill anyone? it's not a real threat, portlegs are just ports of old mods that came from 1.09.4-2.1 so the people can have fun playing them in 2.2. I don't understand why people are making so much drama about it since nobody gain anything from a fangame other than "wow, your mod is gud!!!! 10/10 I love playing it" and then the mod gets forgotten. If the original creator doesn't want to be forgotten for their original creation, just credit them. In some years nobody will care about it anymore, because SRB2 won't bring food to your home and you'll have to get a job. I personally don't care about anything related to reusability rules and such because I just want to have fun with the game while I have time to do so.

"nuh uh, the portlegs are bad quality!!!"
Create a better port and people will forget the old port.

"But it's to respect creator wishes"
In some years/months the creator won't care about it anymore if they're just a child. An adult usually has more important things to worry about than some 9 year old kid porting their mod to 2.2. If you are a grown up person and still get angry about anyone getting a copy of your mod edited, leave the internet and go get a job. You should be aware that anyone will do anything to your mod when you post it to the internet and you can't do anything about it.

If you still have a problem with portlegs, just pretend they doesn't exists and get only mods from Blue Sphere Section.
I simply asked for a reason. :ohnosilver:

Thats why i mentioned it, like, just because you stolen someone's mod, that doesnt mean you shouldnt atleast mention them, its the bare minimum you can do
Ah, thank you for explaining.

because not everyone is willing to play an 13 year old mod on whatever version its on instead of the one with the amazing upgrades to not just physics but also visuals sound effects etc.

2.2 is an insanely vast improvement over any of the previous versions, but some of the old mods are really good and people may wanna enjoy them with all of the benefits of playing 2.2

If you are a grown up person and still get angry about anyone getting a copy of your mod edited, leave the internet and go get a job. You should be aware that anyone will do anything to your mod when you post it to the internet and you can't do anything about it.
dylandude and charyb be like